Sunday, June 15, 2008

天涯歌女 The Wandering Songbird


Lust, Caution



One of the greatest moments in Ang Lee's Lust, Caution. She has no country; she has no family. She is a lonely soul drifting in the wartime. But she has the man's real-self and affectionateness when their hands hold. It's the moment two lonely souls come to attached to each other.

When I searhed for relevant clips on Youtube.com, I found two Chinese legendary actresses, Zhou Xuan and Li Xianglan, also sang the song. The song in different context delivers very different messages.

I never saw any movie starring Zhou Xuan or Li Xianglan in theaters, because they were great stars belonging to my grand parents' generation. But I often read stories about them when I read articles or references regard to Chinese film history.

天涯歌女(The Wandering Songbird) By 周璇 (Zhou Xuan)

Zhou Xuan on Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhou_Xuan



The clip is from a movie called Street Angle. Zhou Xuan is very cute and her voice is sweet in this film.

天涯歌女(The Wandering Songbird) By 李香蘭 (Li Xianglan, a.k.a. 山口淑子)

Li Xianglan on Wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshiko_Otaka

No comments: