Tuesday, December 18, 2007

2007-12-15 TongHou Hiking Trail 桶后越嶺 (PART III)

I met Azic online and we talked about our recent events over MSN, discussed some possible plans to go hiking on Sunday and talked about my blog. I have been busy in these two days because my workload has been increased dramatically. I haven't finished the story of TongHou Hiking yet. I should work on my projects and readings, but because of the conversation with him and the finding that my memory about the hike is decaying, I decided to continue the story.

We turned to locals of YiLan for direction so I had some conversations and interactions with people of YiLan. I felt their temperaments were really different people of Taipei City. I can't find precise phrases to describe them. I feel it seems that I took a time-machine to go back to Taipei in 80's. I think the feelings I had when I talked to the locals are like talking to my neighbors when I was a child. They were simple, nice and friendly.


I went to a square in front of a house and asked few people for direction. There were several people sitting outdoor and chatting, and one old man was scooping TangYuan. I asked them the direction of TongHou Hiking Trail, but none of them knew where it was. They were nice and started giving me suggestions about good tourism spot in the region, and they introduced LinMeiShiPan Hiking Trail and PaoMa Hiking Trail to me. I found out that the house was actually a temple and they were having JianJiao which the temple provided free food to followers and passersby. The old man hospitably invited me to join them and wanted me to have some TangYuan with them. I was really hungry and wanted to eat TongYuan, and I wanted to join them and to chat with them. But Robert and Chris were waiting for me to report back the situation. I shouldn't enjoy the feast alone. I only had to walk back to our car and told them what had happened to me.

When I talked to those people, I had to speak Taiwanese. I could only have some short and simple conversation with them. I found my Taiwanese had become really rusty, it was even worse than my English. I still remember I could interview my subjects in Taiwanese few years ago. What happened to my Taiwanese?

在MSN上遇到Azic,交換我們的近況,談些週日去郊山的可能性,也提到我的部落格,我這兩天工作量變大,其實應該先完成手邊的工作,但因為這次的對話,同時也發現我的記憶在消減,所以我決定把工作放一邊,先來繼續桶后越嶺的故事。

我們沿路問路,所以和當地人有些簡單的互動,我感受到宜蘭人和台北人所散發的氣質不同。我還找不到適合的形容詞,那感覺,向是回到我小時候和鄰居互動的感覺,純樸,簡單,溫暖。

到一戶當地人家門前問路,一位老先生正在盛湯圓,這戶人家們前圍坐不少人。老先生和這群人,沒有人知道桶后越嶺在哪裡,他們建議我改走美林石盤步道或者是跑馬步道,然後七嘴八舌的介紹當地的旅遊郊山的景點。原來這戶人家是當地的一座廟宇,正在舉辦建醮,準備免費的食物給信徒享用。老先生熱情地邀我一起跟他們吃湯圓。我其實肚子好餓,很想坐下來吃湯圓,然後跟他們一起聊天。只是Robert和Chris在等著我回報可能的路線,我不能不顧情義的,自己享用大餐,我只能悻悻然的走回車上。

在和當地人對話時,我都必須說閩南語。我發覺我的閩南話非常不輪轉,甚至比我的英語還差,我只能很簡單的用閩南話和當地人交談。想起幾年前,我還可以在台南用閩南話進行訪問,怎麼退步的那麼快?

No comments: